Thursday, October 12, 2006

Gentrification

gen‧tri‧fi‧ca‧tion  /ˌdʒɛntrəfɪˈkeɪʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[jen-truh-fi-key-shuhn]
–noun
1.
the buying and renovation of houses and stores in deteriorated urban neighborhoods by upper- or middle-income families or individuals, thus improving property values but often displacing low-income families and small businesses.
2.
an instance of gentrifying; the condition of being gentrified.


What disturbs me most about gentrification?

Gentrification is NOT a black/white thing. Although thats what a lot of people I believe. Its definitely a have/have not thing. You know as in those who have money and those who dont. I guess people think of it as being a black/white thing because gentrification does bring diversity into the neighborhoods. I am all for diversity in the neighborhoods. After all, I am a foodie and I love different types of food.
I grew up in neighborhoods that were mostly hispanic and african american, partly working and partly on welfare. You can consider it segregated. Although, hardly anybody uses that word anymore. But, it is what is. Its stifling growing up in a neighborhood where the only time you encounter different cultures and different status' of wealth is when you leave the neighborhood or when you go to school. It put me at disadvantage because I had developed prejudice.
Gentrification is a poor/rich thing. It doesnt matter if you are black or white if you can afford the higher rent then that is the bottom line with the landlords.
Rent is high enough as it is. I could barely afford my rent. If I had to move, I dont know where I would go because rent is high all over the city. I would most likely have to move out of state. I am all for neighborhood improvement and I know this costs money but with salaries staying the same, how can any person with a budget afford more.
Time Out NY put out a list of the 50 best blocks in the 5 boroughs. I would like to thank them for only listing 2 in the Bronx.
#14 Arthur Avenue btwn 184th & 185th St in the Belmont Section of the Bronx
#22 Horton St btwn City Island Ave & Eastchester Bay in City Island (what they dont say is that traffic is a nightmare in the summer here)
Ironically, both of these areas have high concentrations of caucasians. Hmmmmmm
I am okay with that. I dont need anybody to think that I should be paying more than I pay now.
No Gentrification over here.

No comments: